On installing or updating the plugin, BNFW will ask if you’’d like to opt into usage tracking. By doing this, you’’’ll be helping the plugin by allowing for better planning of new features, fixing bugs, and prioritising development based on user feedback.
Opting into usage tracking is completely optional and you can opt out at any time. When opting in, you may be asked to confirm this choice via an email that you will have been sent.
When opted in, usage tracking uses two services – Freemius and Google Analytics.
Google Analytics will track URLs on the following four links in the core plugin:
In the WP Admin Sidebar:
- Notifications > Documentation
- Notifications > Add-ons
In the Notification editor when adding or editing a BNFW Notification:
- The Documentation button to the left of the Message Body WYSIWYG editor
- The Shortcode Help button to the left of the Message Body WYSIWYG editor
What Information is Collected by Usage Tracking?
In Freemius, the following information is collected:
- Usage Tracking Opt-in / Opt-out Status
- Plugin Status
- Plugin Version
- WordPress Version
- PHP Version
- Uninstall / deactivation reason and any associated user submitted feedback
- Plugin Installation Date
- Site Address
- Email and Name of Installer
- Usage Tracking opt-in verification status
Directly, from the Google Analytics links, the following information is collected:
- The location of the link in the plugin, as outlined above, as a source.
- The medium is set to ‘referral’.
As per Google’s requirements, your anonymity is preserved where possible. Other information that Google Analytics can track from such a link can be found in their Help Center.
All other website usage tracking information is stored by Google Analytics and is anonymised.